Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My Purpose

*****Set a date to invite your friends to learn from the missionaries!!!!********

"We carry upon ourselves the reputation of the church - each and every one of us." -Heber J. Grant 




11 MONTHSSSS WHATTTTTTTTT. It's crazy to think it's already here and I will be going home in July. I understand how fast that time goes so it helps my companions and I focus on WORK WORK WORK!

SO.... this week was great!  We met a really animated, cool New York guy on pday last week and I love when New Yorkers are super passionate about something; it's quite hilarious. We had a fun zone snowball fight and I was killing it and the elders got to the point where they were fighting to have me on a certain team until I got too cold to play and was appointed to just making the snowballs.  (The fact that I had some accuracy while throwing is still beyond me too...)

We had a NDH (FHE) with a family and a sister from the relief society that came and brought her 5 year old son. We taught them about how unique and beautiful families are.  We had an activity to make a family banner or emblem that they could make and see each day and remember how uniquely perfect their family is because it's theirs. It was a great lesson!

While we were walking to the next appointment we were trying to call another sister who just got her call on Christmas to El Salvador and leaves in March! She asked if she could come with us to meet an investigator named Barbara. She and I were talking on the phone. We got to a pretty busy stoplight and I noticed a car signaling that it would turn left. (I always look for cars before crossing the street, and we always use the signal so we have the right away, but this time was different) I remember talking to Miriam on the phone, but specifically noticing this car and then the walk sign came on and Sister Gonzalez and I started walking. The next thing I know is that this black car is not going behind us, but instead he was coming at us! He must not have seen me because I was wearing a black coat, and my companion was on my right side. He quickly noticed and I just looked down as if time was slowing down and saw his left side of the car light get closer and closer to my knee. I had the impression "JUMP!" I jumped forward and he stopped and slammed on the brakes and I had never been so close to a car before than that moment. Many people where honking because it was a busy street and they saw it happen and didn't want this guy to hit the sister missionaries. I looked back and saw that if I didn't react in that moment, he would have hit me and my knee and probably could have been worse than just a tap. 

**Now, the reason why I tell you this is not to tell you a scary story or make you think Utah missions are dangerous. The reason I tell you this story is for what happened afterwards**

I continued with the phone call and I was on the verge of tears because of the shock. We finished the phone call, crossed the street and we needed to cross to the other side.  We proceeded and when we did the guy came back and was turning right and stopped us and asked if we were okay; he apologized profusely. He looked at me and asked if there was anything he could do. I looked at him and felt this overwhelming LOVE. Pure Christlike love for him and handed him a He is the Gift card and simply said, "No problem at all! We are safe and perfectly fine, seriously no need to worry about it! Watch this video that's on this card and you will feel God's love for you and how much He wants you to know it! If you have any questions our number is on the back and we would love to meet with you and help you get closer to your Savior, Jesus Christ."  After that, there were people behind him trying to turn so he quickly left the scene. I don't know if he will watch that video; I don't know what is going to happen with him; but, WHAT I DO KNOW is that the mission has helped me gain a Christlike attribute of pure love and charity for anyone I meet. Even those that I probably have every right to be mad at and never forgive. That was a testimony builder and something I know I needed to work on. I'm thankful for the opportunity that God allowed for me to apply and practice that attribute more. 

We went on exchanges with the STL's and I stayed in the area and Sister Pearson came with me and we had so much work to do! We first had a meeting about poaching and ward hopping which happens A LOT here in Utah and in rose park. We are applying new approaches that President Hanson wants us to apply here in this area, and if it works, we will change the mission and have it spread to Davis County and other places! How amazing of an opportunity and responsibility to CHANGE the mission! We went and found a lot of people who are now new investigators! Sister Pearson taught me a lot on the exchange and we got things done! We went out to dinner to Red Iguana....yummmmmmmmm!!!!  We had a lesson with another member who just recently got baptized! It was a great test of my language skills that day because Sister Pearson doesn't know Spanish and so I was translating and talking and contacting all day. Then we taught a lesson with Erika and she felt the spirit so strong.  We invited her to be baptized and she doesn't want to make a decision yet, but is willing to work towards it!  Last, we went to Maurie and Apolinar and we had our Red iguana leftovers and some fruit we were given from a member and left it all at their house because the last time we were there they had nothing but rotting bread in their kitchen.

**Also a nice little Shoutout to Elder and Sister Hurst for the chocolates and card from GUAM!**

We met a family who is less active but recently converted and we tried to support them and get them excited about church and such! We are going over tonight to have a FHE because the kids don't speak Spanish ,but the husband chooses to take his family to the Spanish ward. We visited some other members and then went to our "New Years Eve Party" where we were going to watch Tangled & Ephraim's Rescue, but we actually watched Finding Nemo, Mulan, and Emperors New Groove. It was super fun and we were home by 9pm.  I hoped everyone would be safe and have a Happy New Year!  Can you believe its already 2015?!?

We also had a moment where we were contacting people in this apartment complex and this man walked up to us and said "Sisters! I need you to come to my house ASAP!" I looked at him and asked where he lived and what time would be best. We set up an appointment for the next night around 7. Sister Gonzalez was looking at his friend or brother and saw he had A LOT of red flags. Certain tattoos, a mask for drugs, etc. I called the Elders to see what we should do; they obviously said not to go to that appointment alone. So we thought about calling the bishop and his wife (in Mexico), we thought about calling the ward mission leader and his wife (he got deported last week to Mexico...) and we approached every auxiliary member and their wives and no one could help us. Finally, we found someone.   We didn't want to think this way, but we were prepared for the worst case scenario just in case, but we knew we would be protected. One family came out with us and I saw her (9 months pregnant), her husband and their 2 year old little girl (who reminds me of 2 year old Sophia). So basically, I was scared and thought "this is not going to end well..." We went to the door, and I knocked and no response. Nobody was home. I don't know if that was a sign from Heavenly Father that they were not home at that time for our safety.  However, we ended up teaching Maurie and Apolinar the new member lessons. We enjoyed a really great lesson! 

Church was weird because my home ward, and every ward on my mission, has been at 11am! So the 1 o'clock time was a change, but we got our studies done before church started :)  We had a wonderful start to the new year by fasting and I love the new goals I have to focus on daily and this new year! 

Love you and hope you all are doing wonderful things!! Thanks for the birthday wishes and I get my mail on Fridays and District Meeting will be on Friday so I bet something will happen...

Con Mucho Amor en Este Ano Nuevo,

Hermana Blankmeyer  

No comments:

Post a Comment