Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Be Ye Doers

"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." -James 1:22

I have never been so excited to write you all about my week here!  I don’t even know where to begin and I pray I don’t leave anything out – so please bear with me. 

We are teaching a girl named Ana.  She doesn’t know how to read and write in Spanish.  After she said a prayer one visit she told us that she wants to learn how to read and write so that she can serve a mission like us.  Literally, the feeling I had was indescribable when she told me that, because less than a month later she was baptized which only confirmed my feeling. 

Also, in our English class, after expecting no one to show up we had a lady with four boys attend.  She asked where the English classes were held and we ended up teaching them. Their ages are 12, 6, 4, 3 and I am in love with this family!  The boys are so sweet and polite and their sweet mom said that she wants to go back to the U.S. and live there again.  She said that she had gone to church before, but since they are from Predios (poor area) they don’t own clothes appropriate for church.  We told her that it doesn’t matter what she wears, and I offered my clothes so that she would feel a little more comfortable.  She said she could find something.  We continued talking with her after her two boys started playing soccer with other guys from the church.  We went to her house and taught them some more about the gospel. She ended up not being able to make it to church, but three of her boys came and it was so great.  I even gave them pass along cards to entertain the younger two during the meeting – my companion thought that was brilliant. 

We had three contacts that I have to tell you all about. One was found when we were walking.  We passed by a lady that said, "wait, you’re the missionaries, right?"   We were shocked and at the same time said "yes!"  She told us that she knew a little about the church and she asked if we would pray for her son-in-law who is in bed dying and doesn’t believe in God. We absolutely prayed with her in a little alley where we met, and then she left.  After our prayer, there were two large dogs messing around and finally came running after us.  The owner got them and put them away and the neighbor came out and started to tell us how pretty we were and how nice we looked in our skirts, etc. She is a sweet grandma who had cookies – now whoever said don’t take candy from a stranger, I’m sorry but this rule didn’t apply for like five minutes when we ate her chocolate chip cookies!  The first I’ve had in months.  It was her birthday, too, that day so we gave her a mango that Hermana Catalina gave us, and left.  

The other was a friend of Diana Laura, but she asked if she could practice English with me; she speaks well!  Then my companion asked me to contact her in English and that was literally the weirdest thing. I don’t speak English anymore, haha but it was good and we will follow up on those. 

Another miracle happened; we were able to get into a less active member’s home. The husband actually served a mission here in Veracruz!  He has a little girl and she is really sick and they don’t know what it is.  In Mexico you go to the doctor, get your test done, and wait a week until they know what you have, then another week until they know what medicine will work best, etc.  It’s a long process.  We went into their home and sang, Count Your Many Blessings, and we shared D&C 121:7-8.  "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." He then asked if the elders would come give her a priesthood blessing.   It was amazing that he had the faith to ask for one! 


I’m working this week on my faith.  I’m identifying an attribute of Christ and applying it more in my daily works. I know that this will help me represent Him and help me find more opportunities and work as He would. Hopefully I am successful in this pursuit. 

I love and miss you all soooo much!  It’s crazy that we are already in JUNE! June will be an awesome month; we are excited for it. 

Con Amor,
Hermana Blankmeyer 
Elder Schrieners birthday! Chocolate cake with strawberries and just a fork to cut it. Yumm


my district 

Elder Hourigan, Elder Schriener, Hermana Guerra, Hermana Blankmeyer, Hermana DeFriez, Hermana Aretega 

No comments:

Post a Comment